We live in a time when Cancel Culture, in all its forms, is the modus Operandi.
The Jewish religious authorities, known as the Pharisees and Scribes, were the Guardians of Jewish culture. They had developed 613 laws that defined what was culturally acceptable. They were the judges and jurors of speech and behavior. Those who drastically violated the standards were cultural misfits that could not be tolerated. They had to be CANCELED. Jesus was such a person!
- He was baptized by a wilderness crackpot. (Matthew 3:4)
- He became a rebel rabbi, traveling across Israel, relating to people of “insignificance”: the wounded, the weak, the messes, the outcast, the dis-eased, the condemned, the immoral, the scorned, and the generally not-all-together (Luke 4:17-19).
- For his inner circle he chose (Matthew 9:9) Matthew, a traitorous Jewish tax collector. He also dined at Matt’s home at which were other “tax collectors and sinners.” (Matthew 9:10) “To sit down and eat with someone in the ancient Near East was a token of acceptance.” (The Prodigal God”)
- He didn’t practice social distancing. He touched a leper (Matthew 8:1-3).
- He violated the Sabbath by healing a person … in a synagogue of all places. (Mark 6:1-5)
- He healed the servant of a Roman Centurion [Israel was a vassal of Rome] (Luke 7:1-10)
- He told the Jews to pay taxes to Rome. (Matthew 22:15-22)
- Modeling blatant disregard for cultural norms,
- his disciples harvested grain on the Sabbath; (Matthew 12:1)
- and, they didn’t follow the ceremonial practice of washing ones hands. (Matthew 15:2)
- He warned the disciples to beware of the hypocrisy of the Pharisees. (Luke 12:1)
- He healed the demonized daughter of a Canaanite [a half breed despised by Jews] woman. (Matthew 15:21-29)
- He compassionately related to a prostitute deserving of death. (John 8:3-11)
- Traveling through Samaria [a place where no Jew was supposed to go], he conversed ALONE (John 4:27) with a women who had had five husbands and presently was living a man (John 4:4-26)
The Son is unable to do anything from himself or through his own initiative. I only do the works that I see the Father doing, for the Son does the same works as his Father. (John 5:19)
JESUS’ BEHAVIOR VIOLATED AGE OLD SOCIAL AND RELIGIOUS STANDARDS.
HE COULD NOT BE TOLERATED! HE HAD TO BE CANCELLED!