You have put off the old self with its habits and have put on the new self.
This is the new being which God, the Creator, is constantly renewing in his own image,
in order to bring you to a full expression of himself.
EASTER means RE-NEW-AL
So how do you know if you are discovering one’s true self in Christ?
The litmus test is always deep love. (It may be helpful to reflect on (1 Corinthians 13)
- Am I becoming more generous relationally and otherwise?
- Are my motives becoming less inspired by selfishness?
- Am I becoming less concerned with how others see me?
- Ask yourself Is my life progression towards the things that are bigger (transcendent) than I am?
- Are they leading me closer to God, to others in a genuine way?
- Am I discovering deeper life peace and meaning?
Consider the beliefs that keep you hiding from God and others. Consider what things keep you running away from God. Is it:
- Fear that God will reject you?
- Fear that God will punish you?
- Fear that God may be angry at you?
- Fear that God can’t be trusted?
Ask God about these things. Remember that Jesus, the fullness of God in human flesh, demonstrated just the opposite. Jesus came to heal our relationship with the Father. When Jesus judges, it is with mercy, forgiveness and healing. For many, the prospect of discovering and beginning to live more authentically is genuinely scary. The fear of being rejected, being seen as a loser because we no longer have an interest in playing the game can be paralyzing. For many of us this fear keeps us hiding and pretending to be something we are not. The consequences of continuing to live a lie, to craft and fortify our false self will leave us frustrated, anxious and consume our life with a profound sense of futility.
Many of us already sense that things within us are amuck. It’s time to exchange the ill-fitting coat of false self for the freedom of authenticity and with it a greater sense of peace, meaning, relationships and love. Regardless of where you are on your journey, consider being a little more open to being found by God and step stumble and fall into His perfect love for you.
Hiding your hurt only intensifies it.
You are only as sick as your secrets.
So take off your mask,
stop pretending you’re perfect
walk into freedom.